I’m kicking off the New Year with a look at one of the earlier G.I.Joe Classified offerings, the Cobra Saboteur, Firefly! (It is #fireflyfriday and all)
Firefly was released as part of the Target Exclusive G.I. Joe Classified Series Special Missions: Cobra Island line. Let’s get the fine print out of the way before we get to the meat and potatoes:
UPC: 5010993796922 Item Number (DPCI): 087-16-2542
- YO JOE! G.I. JOE EXPLODES INTO A LARGER-THAN-LIFE ERA WITH 6-INCH SCALE FIGURES: The G.I. Joe Classified Series evolves the characters fans know and love into a highly articulated 6-inch scale with premium deco and detailing
- CLASSIC FIREFLY-INSPIRED DESIGN: This figure features a classic design updated to bring the Cobra master of sabotage into the modern era, plus accessories inspired by the character’s rich history
- COLLECTIBLE PACKAGING WITH CUSTOM ART: Joining some of the best artists from the world of comics, graphic design in our artist partnership program, Jeremy Wilson adds a unique style to the Firefly package
- HIGHLY POSEABLE WITH PREMIUM DETAILING: This G.I. Joe Classified Series Firefly figure features premium detailing and articulation for dramatic action poseability. (some poses may require additional support)
- EXPAND YOUR ROSTER: Look for other 6-inch scale G.I. Joe Classified Series figures (each sold separately) and build your roster of heroes and villains
G.I. Joe is a highly skilled, on-demand, special operations force of men and women from around the globe. These extraordinarily talented heroes are selected for their elite abilities and tasked with defending the world from Cobra, a ruthless criminal organization bent on total domination. With unwavering courage and steely determination, the brave members of G.I. Joe are prepared to seek out Cobra in any environment on the planet. From hostile jungles to ice-clad arctic peaks…wherever there’s trouble, G.I. Joe is there.
This Firefly figure comes ready for action, with multiple points of articulation for high poseability and 6 character-inspired accessories. And with custom artwork by Jeremy Wilson, the G.I. Joe Classified Series Firefly package will make a mark on shelves.
G.I. Joe and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro.
• Includes: G.I. Joe Classified Series Firefly action figure and 6 accessories.
• Figure scale: 6 inches
• Ages 4 and up
• Warning: Choking Hazard – Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
You made it through a pretty healthy wall of text, congratulations! Let’s get to it –
Firefly comes in branded “Special Missions: Cobra Island” packaging, exclusive to Target. As you’ve more than likely seen/read many Classified reviews, I won’t bore you with details. The takeaways here are:
- Awesome artwork (I love all of the drones flying in for the kill!)
- New Map locations; The Port and Air Field. (RIGHT NEAR DA BEACH, BWOOOOOOOOOOOOY! Ahem, sorry)
That red backdrop will always be all sorts of awesome! Let’s get ole crunchy face out of his packaging and take a closer look –
Firefly sports his classic urban camo paint scheme, but this time around features a blast vest, giving him a real “Pursuit of Cobra” look. He’s built no differently than any other Classified figure, with articulation at the head/neck, shoulders, biceps, wrists, elbows, hips, abs, thighs, knees and ankles.
Firefly has a black pauldron on his arm with the Cobra logo in classic “cobra red” that really pops. He has a cluster of grenades on his shoulder, which probably isn’t the smartest move. THIS IS PROBABLY HOW YOU BURNED YOUR FACE. >.< His vest has nice details, including ammo pouches. His vest can come off, but in order to do so, you need to deconstruct the figure. Folks, I think you’re all the best, but you’re gonna have to go somewhere else to see him without his vest, as I’m not going to intentionally piss myself off. Why do I say that? Because Firefly is UNPAINTED UNDERNEATH THAT VEST.
Hasbro, why? This is an in-house brand. His accessories are all sorts of fun, but you can’t even carry his camo pattern all the way through his uniform? Yikes.
Anyway, let’s turn that front upside down and get back to those aforementioned accessories, as they’re all sorts of fun –
Firefly comes equipped with his classic red goggles, a futuristic pistol style weapon, an IED (is that what you would call an old-timesy dynamite bomb? Sorry, I’m so uneducated on proper terminology) and one heck of a fun bit of kibble, an aerial death drone with control tablet! This little nibblet feels like a TMNT mouser, but chock full of EFF YOU. All of this gear can be stored in FF’s back pack, allowing him to frolic across enemy front lines without fear or dropping hsi accessories, rendering him both useless on the battlefield and on eBay.
Here’s a collection of random shots that I hope you enjoy. All in all, I’d say if you have the means, pick Firefly up. He’s a fun fig with sweet accessories. The non-painted torso is a head scratcher for sure, but whatever, he’s still slick.
I know there was a lot of heartache about Firefly being a Target exclusive, but I’d like to remind my collecting friends that repaints are a thing. If you didn’t score one at Target or on the secondary market, keep the faith – Firefly WILL be repainted one day.
On that note, thanks for taking the time to swing by and check out this pictorial. Happy New Year and Happy Hunting to you all!